Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Deep Sheep

The Sheep is not normally one to get all introspective, but 'tis that time 'o the year and all. I was sort of startled by a realization yesterday whilst rummaging through Chez WalMart for a new pair of trousers that might fit and having a hard time of it. The items that were "age appropriate" didn't exactly come in the right size and the ones that did fit were really just gonna make me look like total "wannabe teen." When I got home, I cast on for the "Sweater of Shame" without really thinking about it until I was a few inches in and realized that I was shooting for a size S.

It was almost a year ago to the day that I was using an X-mas gift certificate at Kohl's and realized, to my delight, that I needed to purchase a size 14 jeans. This represented a month of careful diet and exercise.

By May, the day before my 30-10th birthday, I purchased a size 6 pair.

In July, I made the move to a tight, but wearable 4.

In November, the 4's fit.

Last week, while attending a school function, a parent volunteer asked if I was a dancer. She said I moved like one.

Ok, last night I ate 1/2 a package of holiday M&Ms, but we'll get past that, I'm sure.

My point? I'm not really sure, but I do know that it has been a year of change. I didn't really set out to alter my life to any great degree. I just knew that I wasn't ready to be middle-aged. I'm not really any different than I was 60 or so pounds ago...I'm still a grumpy old sheep who aspires to be the crazy cat lady. I still knit and spin out my frustrations and grouse about how "kids today don't know hardship...I had to walk to and from school uphill both ways in snowstorms year-round with only tissue boxes for shoes and dryer lint for lunch." But at least I'm doing it in cute jeans.

Not sure what '06 will bring. Not sure if I care...it will happen whether I plan for it or not. But I am certainly enjoying this moment as I knit merrily away on my little sweater and hope that it's not too big.


And knowing that the orangy color will make me look like a carrot rather than a pumpkin.


SA

No comments: